Obligations Tenants and Landlords
Who is responsible for the maintenance of my rental home or room?
The maintenance of your rental home or room is divided between you and the landlord. The landlord takes care of the major maintenance. You are responsible for the small and daily maintenance of the rented living space.
- Minor repairs are at the expense of the tenant. Major repairs and major maintenance are at the expense of the lessor.
- The tenant must be able to easily carry out minor repairs himself. And they may not entail any costs. If not, the repair is still at the expense of the lessor.
- Built-in appliances for kitchens are generally regarded as immovable affairs of the home. The built-in appliances are then rented with the property by the lessor. Repair of a broken built-in refrigerator is then at the expense of the lessor.
- The tenant must give the landlord access to the rental property, so that the landlord can carry out the maintenance or repair.
- You provide repairs for damage that you have caused yourself. If the lessor also carries out small and daily repairs, the lessor may charge the costs of this to you as service costs.